Sunday, November 9, 2014

Its Not a Contest

Its not a contest to see who has the biggest list of ailments or who is the healthiest. A few weeks ago, while at the gym, I met a woman who was in the breast cancer club - we recognized our lymphedema sleeves, which leads to conversations, how long has it been (15 years or so for her). 

We chatted a bit about the benefits of our gym for dilapidated people. She said she has Parkinsons and they worked very well with her. I said they had been so good with me working through my RA and fibromyalgia and her reply was 'okay, you win'.

I thought to myself, no it isn't a contest and I don't think I wanted her diagnosis either. She had tremors visibly.  

Why did she think it was a contest? I have no idea. Maybe then she could think of me as someone in worse shape so she could feel better about herself? I have no idea.

Read more from Caroline's Breast Cancer Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment